Sunday, October 23, 2005

kohra

Its been quite wintry of late. The sky gets pretty foggy and at the end of the road you can see a golden haze. At first I thought it was just smog, my definition of fog being able to pretend you're smoking a cigarette everytime you exhale :D.

It's there almost every night, just one day it became even thicker but unfortunately, I'd gone to bed pretty tired and failed to wake up even for sehri, so missed it completely. The next day I heard people going into raptures describing how you couldn't see anybody even at a distance of a few feet, how people were walking in groups and whispering and how it seemed like spirits were wandering about. The lamp posts were bathed in some kind of mysterious glow and seemed to be floating in the air. Sigh. I wish I'd been up ... it hasn't happened since.

Yesterday, when I was walking with sehri-mate to the canteen at 4 in the morning, by way of conversation, I asked her if she'd seen the fog. Her face lit up immediately and she started describing it .. 'Kohra kohra sa tha'. I'd heard of the phrase dhundla sa and found it beautiful, but kohra seemed out of this world. Somehow so evocative of beauty, mystery and mist.

I hope it happens again sometime soon and more importantly, that I'm up to see it. I'd like to add a few more intangible adjectives to kohra.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

u r lucky its just kohra... its raining out here 24/7..

Surinder said...

ever tried driving in "kohra" !! :-)

and i'm surprised that you havent heard that word in use before !!!

The optimist from utopia said...

hey.. u stole my description of the fog.. was gonna use it in my blog!! shud never hav described it to u in the first place.. x-( CC murdabad!!

infinity said...

sansaar ki har shah ka itna hi fasaana hai...ek dhundh se aana hai,ek dhundh mein jaana hai...

manuscrypts said...

there was a serial on star a long time back by that name...:)

melon collie said...

lucky you...
its raining like crazy down here..

Anonymous said...

"Post kar gadhi"

:D


PlayBoi

Anonymous said...

toast to the gadhi ;p

Argentyne said...

playboi, k ..

Handa, now its started raining here 24/7 too :(

surdie, I cant drive to save my life :( Yeah, i'd never heard the word before :)

Optimist from utopia, how come you're putting X-( signs? Its a negative thing to do :P

infinity, hehe, naaice :)

Manu, so i heard :) Heard there was even a movie by that name ..

playboi and blister, gadhi has posted :)